Is this for you?
It's for all recruiters.
- All job offers must be conditional on all pre-employment checks being passed, including satisfactory references.
- There are different reference requirements depending on what type of role is being recruited to.
- In all cases at least one referee must be the line manager or human resources contact for the current or most recent employer.
- Some roles have additional reference requirements.
- Recruiters (person responsible for managing the vacancy process) are responsible for ensuring that all references for each selected candidate are requested and followed up in a timely manner and forwarded to the line manager for decision; advising the line manager if there are difficulties obtaining references or when unsatisfactory references are received; logging the receipt of returned references.
- Line managers are responsible for pre-employment checking and ensuring selected candidates are suitable; deciding if references are satisfactory before job offers are confirmed; liaising with people advisors where full references are not received, unsatisfactory references are received or there is a need to withdraw a job offer if the reference criteria are not met; and orally confirming information with referees where this is a requirement for the post or if you consider it necessary to provide clarity; and ensuring a full written record is kept.
- AD people/people advisors and local people teams are responsible for advising line managers on the interpretation of this policy and acceptable standards of referencing to ensure compliance with statutory and legal obligations, and for supporting managers in the withdrawal of job offers.
Download policy documents
31 January 2019
11 February 2019
11 February 2019First published
31 January 2019First published